Tuesday, December 30, 2014
My Predictions for the RPG World in 2015
- Wizards of the Coast will announce the sale of 5e PDFs late in the year. The prices will frustrate anyone who has already purchased the physical books.
- WotC won't release very many new D&D books but there will be a new Forgotten Realms setting book and it will be praised for being the best version of the Realms yet.
- No official D&D electronic tools.
- Likewise, Project Morningstar will non-existent by the end of the year.
- There will be a lot of A Red & Pleasant Land hacks, but the best one will be A Red & Pleasant World.
- Lamentations of the Flame Princess will release (almost) all of the many miscellaneous adventures from all those crowd-funding projects. Probably all at once along with the Referee Book.
- The RPG clique war will be quiet for most of the year. There won't be any major controversies. More and more people learn to co-exist.
- The line between storygames and D&D will blur to the point of irrelevance.
- Fantasy Flight announces a new Warhammer Fantasy Role Play edition that will marry the older editions with the current 40k RPGs.
- Troll Lord will run eight different Kickstarter campaigns.
- The inevitable Unknown Armies 3e Kickstarter will be a huge success. Things get really crazy while post-modern conspiracy and chaos magick becomes the flavor of the month.
- There will be another huge Reaper Kickstarter. It's a massive success but somehow puts Reaper out of business. No one gets their Bones 2 packages as a result.
- DC Heroes will see a resurgence in popularity.